Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Defeat and Loss

Today I found out that my friend Marty succumbed to cancer. He has been battling cancer for only one year and was only 41 years old.

Marty was a firefighter and a fitness buff. He saved people for a living. He was one of the finest people I have ever had the pleasure and honor to know. He had two young children who went to pre-school and kindergarten with my children. His son Colton has been in love with Darci since he was three years old and used to tell her on a regular basis that he planned to marry her.

I had not seen Marty for quite awhile since our kids now attend different schools, but we happened to see him in December when the girls were taking ski lessons. He was renting skis at the ski school because he loved it and loved being able to be there with his kids.

He told me that day that he had been diagnosed with Thymic Carcinoma. I listened and cried and gave him a hug. That is the last time I saw him. I am incredibly grateful that I had the chance to see him and tell him in person how much we cared about him and his family.

I called him about a month ago and was surprised that he answered his cell phone. In typical Marty style, he told me that he was recovering from his last round of chemotherapy and was getting stronger every day. I told him again how much we were pulling for him and that I was thinking of him every day.

About 3 days later, I was diagnosed with breast cancer and found myself grappling with the same things that Marty had been. Since the day of my diagnosis I have mentally put myself in this "team" of cancer fighters. Me, Marty and another friend Michael. In my mind, there has always been the three of us in this fight together. I knew we were all fighting different cancers, but thought if there was the three of us fighting, we would all win our battles.

I am devastated by the loss of Marty. I am heartbroken for his wonderful wife Kris and his two kids Colton and Rylee.

So many people have told me that God doesn't give you more than you can handle. What about Marty? He was physically fit, mentally strong, had a HUGE support system with the firefighters, friends, family etc and was determined to beat his cancer even though he knew the prognosis wasn't good. He was one of the good guys-truly a hero, he was loved by many. Why couldn't he beat it?

I know that all of you have been keeping me in your thoughts and prayers. Can I ask each of you a favor? Can you pray for Marty and his family too? I will be doing the same. (see the link below if you would like to read about Marty)

Marty, you have inspired me, made me laugh and raised really great children. you made an impact on the planet and saved lives in the process. I am blessed and honored that I had a chance to know you for so many years. Go with God Marty and may God bless you and your family.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/365850_obithauer05.html

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tracy,
Hi I know I haven't wrote anything to you after I heard about your diagnosis but I wanted you to know that I have been thinking of you all the time. I am so sorry that you and your family have to deal with this. I know you will be okay because you are one of the strongest women I know!!! I am sorry about Marty too!! He sounded like a wonerful person. It sounds like you have a great group of people to help you through this but count me as one too OKAY??
Love you,
Danielle