Thursday, January 8, 2009

Zometa

I had a follow-up appointment with my oncologist today. Among other things we talked about, I asked her about prescribing Zometa for me since I couldn't get into the clinical trial that I wanted to. This is why I love her. She immediately said yes and prescribed semi-annual infusions of Zometa. I will receive my first one on January 13th.

Zometa is a drug primarily used for osteoporosis. However, it has been found to drastically reduce the risk of recurrence to the bone in people with my exact diagnosis--diagnosed young, early stage, pre-menopausal, estrogen positive and taking Tamoxifen. There have been several large studies and it appears that adding Zometa to the Tamoxifen reduced the chances of recurrence by about 30-35 percent. It is not yet the standard of care to prescribe it, but I believe it will be eventually. I am thankful to have a doctor that is willing to work with me. She was voted one of Seattle Magazine's top 3 oncologists and this is why. She lets the patient be part of the conversation.

I'll take 35%. I'll take every 1 or 2 or 10% that I can.

No comments: