Sunday, March 15, 2009

Hello 44


Yesterday was my 44th birthday and I had a great day. The whole thing felt a little surreal to me. I spent so much time last year talking about my age that I thought maybe I would never get past 43. At every doctor appointment, every time I was asked when I was diagnosed, every document that I filled out for every doctor, my answer was 43. I was diagnosed with breast cancer at 43. I went through treatment when I was 43. I am ONLY 43. It was a little like one of those dreams where you keep running, but can't get anywhere. It was by far the longest year of my life.

Now I can say I made it to 44. I can say I am glad that I am getting older. I am glad that I have the chance to be 44 and I am looking forward to 45, 55, 85. I want to be able to say that I am a 40 or 50 year survivor. I want to be able to say that the best present I ever received was the eradication of breast cancer. I want to see it in my lifetime.

Happy birthday to me! I made it.

1 comment:

Annie Searle said...

As my son James said one year when he was small, "You're not old...you're new!"