Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Having a Plan

Friends and family,

I now have some kind of a plan. I am naturally a planner so this makes me feel like I have some kind of control over what is happening.

I will have surgery (a lumpectomy) on Wednesday May 28th. I will also have a sentinel lymph node test as well to see if the cancer has moved into my lymph nodes. At the same time they will insert a portable catheter for the chemo treatments into my chest.

I have a surgeon that I am comfortable with and his office has been fabulous in getting me appts with the oncologist and tests etc. I feel like it is the right decision.

After that, I will have about 4 weeks of down time before I will start chemo treatments.

I am surprised and humbled by the people who have reached out to me already to tell me their stories and to offer support. I have heard from friends of friends who have gone through the same thing that I am going through.

Maybe this is what I am supposed to learn from this, that I will have the opportunity to be a resource for other people as these people are for me. Maybe I am supposed to learn that I should start paying more attention to my own health. Maybe I am supposed to learn that I can't control everything in my life. Maybe none of the above.

There is no turning back now. I have to be OK with this decision. I am calmer now that I know that I have a plan and no that I have no other choice. I guess I could opt to give up......but I have never given up on anything in my life and I don't intend to start now!

xoxo

Tracy

No comments: