Thursday, June 18, 2009

Through Her Eyes


It is the last week of school for my children which means they have been bringing home all of the "valuable junk" that they have in thier lockers and their desks. While most of it is truly junk, I found a collection of poems that Cailey wrote for an assignment. One of them brought me to tears.

The phone rings loudly
My mom answers it quickly
My mom has Cancer


Cailey was the only person at home with me when I got that call from my doctor telling me that I had cancer. I cried so hard that I couldn't talk to her to tell her what was wrong. She immediately went into action and grabbed the phone and asked me who she should call. In the end, she called my sister as my husband was on a bike ride without his phone. It was Cailey that had to sit with me during the initial shock.

I have worried about how my having been diagnosed with cancer would affect my kids and for the most part I think they are pretty grounded and well-adjusted.

What I didn't realize though is that the moment when I received that phone call is so vividly imprinted in her head. Just one moment, that is all it took.

I hope to imprint many happy memories over the top of that one. As always, I am humbled by the compassion, love and inner beauty of my children.

6 comments:

Carol said...

Tracy, "WOW" ... what more can I say ?????

Dawn said...

I agree - your kids rock.

Penny said...

I'm with Carol. Wow. I have a sneaking suspicion that your daughter's poem touched many more than just you. I think that perhaps it was strength that she learned from you that helped her voice herself so beautifully. Thank you for sharing.

Annie Searle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annie Searle said...

Cailey is a lot like her mom!

See you tomorrow.

XOXO

Lance Tang said...

Hi,
I'm participating in one of the Breast Cancer Bag Print Design Contest. I hope to get your support!
Please Vote for me !!
Follow the link and click on the pink ribbon to vote.
Let's spread the breast cancer awareness!
Thanks.......
http://www.emmagem.com/bagprintdesign/?p=172