Monday, February 2, 2009

Menopause=No sleep!

One of the things that my oncologist was most excited about was that going through chemo put me into menopause. Since I am estrogen positive, this is a good thing for me. Menopause equals less estrogen production which equals less potential for a recurrence.

So far, the only real side effects to menopause are hot flashes and night sweats. I started having these after my second round of chemo. They were decreasing and I was mostly having these side effects at night, but add Tamoxifen to the mix and I am back at ground zero with hot flashes during the day and sweating at night.

One would think that since it is the middle of winter, I wouldn't mind having hot flashes just to keep warm, but it is actually worse. I still get cold from the weather and really want to bundle up in a cozy sweater or a nice soft blanket. So I do this, get all comfortable and cozy and then WHAM another hot flash.

This might be OK if I was one of those people that got the cute little dots of sweat on their nose and that is it, but no, I am not a pretty sweat-er. I sweat everywhere.

I used to be one of those people who hit the pillow at night and never woke up until the alarm went off in the morning. Now, I am tossing and turning all night long, throwing blankets off when I get hot and putting them back on when I get cold.

I should be glad that I am in chemo-induced menopause and I am I guess. Menopause equals less estrogen, but unfortunately, menopause also equals no sleep. I miss sleep.

No comments: