Monday, December 1, 2008

The Next Chapter

If Chapter 1 was surgery, Chapter 2 was chemotherapy, Chapter 3 radiation, then Tamoxifen must be Chapter 4. Today I will start taking Tamoxifen. I will take it for a minimum of 5 years. Tamoxifen is a hormone blocker used specifically for people who are hormone receptor positive. I am hormone receptor positive for both Estrogen and Progesterone. Historically breast cancers were all treated the same way. Now with the advances that have been made in breast cancer research, doctors understand that not all cancers are the same. Because I'm female, I produce estrogen. Tamoxifen blocks the estrogen from attaching onto cancer cells which causes them to grow. Simple. Like anything else there are benefits and potential side effects. Most likely I will experience hot flashes. Who wouldn't want to have more of those? More serious is an increased risk for uterine cancer. I am counting on the fact that the benefits, which are significant in reducing the risk of recurrence, will outweigh the risks.

Like everyone else at WaMu, I was given notice today on my job status. As expected, I will be laid off, but will be working through the end of March. This is the best possible solution for me. I get the opportunity to be part of the change from WaMu to JP Morgan Chase doing work that I enjoy. The risk is that I may miss out on an opportunity outside of WaMu that may not be available in April that is available now. I hope in this case as well, that the benefits will outweigh the risks. I am ready to take on the next chapter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Trace,
I was praying for you with the Wamu meeting this week. I am glad that you will be working through March, that is a relief. At first I was sad that they met with people during the Holidays, but now I think it is less stressful to know what is ahead so you can plan. I love your attitude and once again, I am so proud of you!
Hugs,
K